Last week, my teenage son came home from school and as usual, he always popped this question, ‘Mom, what’s for dinner tonight?’ I looked at him blankly and asked for his suggestion. He told me a stew would be nice for a cold winter night and he was craving for seafood too!
So, I came up with this perfect match of seafood and stew in one pot and best served with hot steam white rice. That’s it, a pot of Seafood Stew dinner that night. Yummy! Gosh, it was so good that my husband had two plates of rice..
What are Ingredients of Seafood Stew Fennel Recipe?
- 1 Tsp fennel seeds
- 1 Tsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves (dried or fresh)
- ½ Tsp crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne powder (reduce the portion if you don’t want it to be too spicy)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Small (or 1/2 large) fennel bulb or sweet anise (can be found in Safeway), finely chopped.
- 4 Garlic cloves, coarsely chopped.
- 1 Can 28-ounce whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand till mushy, juices reserved.
- ½ Cups dry white wine ( I used Sutter Homes Chardonnay).
- 1 Bottle 18-ounce clam juice (I used Snow Brand, found in Safeway).
- 1 Cup of water.
- 1 lb Skinless fillets haddock or U.S. Pacific cod or Swai or Tilapia (your choice of fish), I bought those pre-cut to individual pieces from the super mart.
- 1 lb Mussels, scrubbed and debearded.
- 1 lb Big uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, or frozen king crab legs, thawed.
- 1 lb Cleaned squid, thawed if frozen, bodies cut into 1/2″ rings (you can also used scallops too!)
Lets see how to prepare:
- Toast fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Finely grind in a spice mill (I don’t have a spice mill so I put the toasted seeds into a small clean plastic bag, sealed it and used a meat mallet to crush them to powder), set aside.
- Heat oil in a big pot over medium high heat. Apply fennel, garlic, onion, bay leaves, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and fennel are soft, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in ground fennel seeds, crushed tomatoes with juices, white wine, clam juice, and 1 cup water. You cover, bring to a boil, decrease heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, until flavors meld, just about 15 minutes.
- Stir in fish, mussels, and shrimp and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add squid, cover, and cook until mussels open and seafood is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes (discard mussels that do not open).
6. Served with Steam White Rice or Dinner Roll.