Cup noodles are a type of instant noodles sold in a Styrofoam or plastic cup with a variety of flavors. Though the water used to cook cup noodles is typically boiling, it is not recommended to microwave cup noodles. This doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your noodles if the microwave is all the cooking means you have available – we’ll tell you how.
The main reason you shouldn’t microwave cup noodles is because of the way the noodles are packed. These noodles come in Styrofoam or plastic cups, which can melt or release harmful chemicals when heated.
So, how can you microwave your instant noodles? Let’s find out.
Why can’t you microwave cup noodles?
Cup noodles are a quick and easy meal, but have you ever wondered why you couldn’t microwave them? The answer has to do with the materials that cup noodles are made from. Cup noodles are typically made from PET or Styrofoam, both of which are not safe to microwave.
PET is a type of plastic that can release harmful chemicals when heated, while Styrofoam contains chemicals that can cause cancer.
In addition, both materials are not heat-resistant, meaning that they may melt if exposed to high temperatures. For these reasons, it’s best to avoid microwaving cup noodles. Instead, you can cook them on the stovetop or in the microwave (without the cup), or boil the water in a microwave-safe bowl and then add it to the cup.
How long to microwave cup of noodles?
If you choose to microwave your cup noodles, it’s essential to do so carefully. First, remove the lid and any plastic wrappers.
Next, add the noodles into a microwavable dish and water to the fill line on the cup, and then microwave for two minutes, or until the cup contents boil.
Be careful when removing the cup from the microwave, as the contents will be hot. You can then add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
If you intend to use the Styrofoam cup on the go, you can boil water separately, either in the microwave or over the stovetop, and then add it to the cup. Your noodles will still cook this way evenly.
How to make cup noodles in the microwave?
If you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to cook your noodles on the stovetop, you can microwave them the basic way. Just be sure to use a microwave-safe dish, and remove the lid and any plastic wrappers.
Should you have more time on your hands, you can try to make your noodles the fancy way by adding some vegetables or protein. This will take a little longer to cook, but the result will be tastier and more filling.
Making basic microwave cup noodles:
If you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to cook a full meal, cup noodles are a quick and easy option. All you need is ceramic ware with a vented lid and a microwave. Here’s how to make cup noodles in the microwave the basic way:
- Place the ceramic ware with one cup of noodles and broth mix in the microwave. Depending on how you want the finished dish, you can break up the block to ease stirring or leave the block intact and enjoy the noodles slurpy.
- Add the broth mix or just water (1-2 cups of water for every cup of noodles). Add any seasoning and stir thoroughly to mix. Place a vented lid on top of the ceramic ware to contain spillages.
- Cook on high for 3 minutes. Check the doneness. If not ready yet, cook in 30-sec0nds increments until they are well cooked.
- Remove from the microwave and stir again. Be careful, as the ceramic ware will be hot. Use potholders if necessary.
- Let cool for 1 minute before enjoying your cup noodles!
For seasoning, use chili flakes, oregano, or any other herb you like.
You could still take a shortcut with this method by boiling water in a microwave-safe container and then adding the hot water to the noodles. Hot water is usually at around 98 degrees Celcius, which is hot enough to cook the noodles, but not damaging to the styrofoam or PET used to make the cup.
Making fancy microwave cup noodles:
If you want something more filling and tasty, add vegetables or protein to your cup of noodles. This will take a little longer to cook, but the result will be worth it. Here’s how to make fancy microwave cup noodles:
- Start by cooking the protein. If you’re using chicken, cook it in the microwave or stovetop until it’s cooked through. Set aside.
- Chop up any vegetables you’ll be using. Popular choices include carrots, mushrooms, and green onions.
- Place the ceramic ware or any microwave-safe bowl with one cup of noodles and broth mix in the microwave. Depending on how you want the finished dish, you can break up the block of noodles, or you can leave the block intact to have the noodles slurpy.
- Add the chopped vegetables and cooked chicken (or other protein).
- Add the chicken broth mix or water- again, 1-2 cups of water for every cup of instant noodles. Add any seasoning and stir thoroughly to mix. Place a vented lid on top of the ceramic ware to contain spillages.
- Cook on high for 4 minutes. Check the doneness. If not ready yet, cook further in 30-second increments until done.
- Remove from the microwave, add hot sauce for extra flavor, and stir again—place in a safe bowl.
- Let the bowl of noodles cool for 1 minute before enjoying your cup noodles!
Some people enjoy plain unseasoned ramen. It’s thus not common to find people adding cold water to the ramen immediately after draining the hot water. The shortcoming is that the cold water undermines the structural integrity of the styrofoam noodle cup, and at times, the cup may collapse.
Alternatively, you can cook the veggies, proteins, and noodles separately and then mix everything before eating. This is a good option if you want to meal prep your cup noodles ahead of time. Just remember to microwave the mix before eating.
You can also get creative with your flavor packet and toppings.
Some other popular toppings include:
- Egg: cooked sunny side up, scrambled, or boiled
- Hot sauce
- Hoisin sauce
With so many possibilities, nothing should stand in your creative path with your toppings!
It’s now evident how quick and easy making cup noodles in the microwave can be. With just a few minutes of your time, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal without the limitations of microwaving the noodles in a cup. So the next time you’re feeling lazy or don’t have time to cook, remember that the microwave oven and cup noodles are there for you to make a savory and filling option.
Frequently asked questions:
What happens if you microwave cup noodles?
If you microwave cup noodles, they will be cooked through. However, avoid microwaving ramen in Styrofoam bowls, as the heat can cause the bowls to melt and leach toxic chemicals into the food.
So, when you microwave cup noodles, the outcome depends on how you do it. You could end up with sumptuous and healthy fast food or make a chemical-ridden slop.
Do not attempt to microwave dry noodles as these have minimal water and can catch fire in the microwave oven. Microwave noodles should always be boiled in the microwave.
Can you microwave Nissin cup noodles?
Yes, you can microwave Nissin cup noodles but not in their original container. Simply remove the noodles from the cup, cook them according to the package instructions, and then put them back in the cup.
Although Nissin ramen is explicitly labeled as microwavable, remember that it is only the noodles you can cook in the microwave oven; the plastic containers are usually made of Styrofoam or PET, which shouldn’t go in that oven.
How long do you put ramen noodles in the microwave?
For the best results, the cooking time for ramen noodles in the microwave is 2 minutes on high.
Microwaving instant ramen noodles is quick and easy, but it’s essential to do it correctly, so you don’t end up with a messy or undercooked dish. When microwaving ramen, set the power to high and cook for two minutes. After two minutes, flip the noodles and give them a good stir. Then cook for an additional 30 seconds or until they are cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the noodles, as they can become mushy and difficult to eat. If you’re unsure if they’re done, err on the side of caution and take them out of the microwave sooner rather than later.
At this point, you are probably a pro at making microwave cup noodles. The cooking process is a no-brainer, while the ingredients are everyday kitchen staples. With a bit of practice, you’ll be able to make this delicious snack in a matter of minutes. And who knows, maybe you will discover a fancier way to make the ramen of your dreams. A slight adjustment here and there with different flavoring packets and seasoning will do the trick.