Now you are in healthy broccoli quiche recipe. I wanted to make a gluten free quiche and not attempt a pastry crust with gluten free flour so the potato crust is a good option. It is also lower in fat than the pastry. You could substitute other vegetables and add cooked chicken if desired.
Ingredients: Healthy Broccoli Quiche Recipe
- 3 cups grated potato
- ¼ cup grated red onion
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped in bite size pieces.
- 3 green onion, chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup milk (or half and half cream for richer flavor)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- Grate the potatoes into a colander, add ½ tsp of salt and let drain for 10 minutes
- Squeeze out the excess moisture from the potatoes and combine with the grated red onion and the egg.
- Press the mixture firmly into the bottom and sides of a greased 9” pie plate.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes at 425F or until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to 350F.
- Steam the broccoli for 4-5 minutes, drain and refresh in ice water to maintain the green color.
- Sprinkle the broccoli, green onion and cheese in the crust.
- Beat the eggs with the milk or cream, salt, pepper and cayenne and pour over the broccoli.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Note: Substitute frozen hash browns for the grated potatoes as a shortcut.
Rita C. Donnell (Jennifer) has spent the last 26 years studying and practicing nutrition science. She has used a larger part of this time in improving people’s livelihoods. She has done so by coming up with unquestionable ideas on how to tackle food problems in her community. Readmore