Many people with grills struggle to find ways of cleaning off stubborn dirt from their grills after use. I pity those still struggling with this problem, but the solution isn’t far from you. The only thing you now need is to invest in the best grill brush. If you do so, you will not REGRET putting your money on the grill you now own.
In this write-up, I will talk about barbecue brush. For your information, the world has produced thousands of grill brushes, but finding a safe grill brush is not always an easy thing for many. It is for this reason, I have taken the time to show you how to find the best bristle free grill brush.
You may ask, is it important to cleaning your grill using a brush? If, so, which one shall I choose? How do I make sure my grill is clean? Is there a special way to clean my grill? What best grill cleaning tools should I have? The aforementioned are some of the questions I will address and give you the most decisive answers.
To start us off, let us look at the most ridiculous yet important question…
What Is A Grill Brush
A grill brush is a kitchen tool. It is used at home and in restaurants. The work of a grill brush is to clean off food residue from the grill especially the grates after use. Although you can use other methods to clean your grill, using a bristle-free grill brush is a sure way of achieving your goal.
Some people decide to use water and soap to clean their grills. It is not a bad idea to do so, but it is important to know one thing. When a grill is used for a long time, no doubt food residue rests on the grate and other interior sections of the grill. To remove these stubborn stains, you need the best grill scraper.
Most grill brushes in the market are made of stainless steel. Some are products of aluminum, and other genuine metals. A traditional grill brush has a handle, head, which holds bristles, and a hook, used for storing the brush.
As we move along, you need to know something. The market offers you a variety to choose from. Manufacturers are working hard each day to produce grill brushes, which have been there for long, bristle free brushes, and a combination of grill brush with a scraper.
All the kitchen tools mentioned above, work towards ensuring your grill is clean. However, each of the kitchen tools work differently. It is up to you to know what it is that you want then you buy the right grill cleaning tool.
You May Like :
The Importance Of Cleaning Your Grill
It is reasonable to think about your family’s health. Cleaning your grill using the best grill brush is the starting point. I call it the starting point because I know once you start cleaning your grill after use, you won’t stop.
Once the food has been contaminated, the only way to end that problem is to visit a doctor. Many stomach complications, such as food poison and its results are costly to treat. This is the number one reason why you need to take grill cleaning seriously.
The second reason why you need to clean your grill after use touches on the meat you prepare. Fats from the meat, residues, grease, and other dirt rest on the grill grates every time you use your grill. If left unclean use after use, the food residue on the grates will definitely make your barbecue taste bad.
Once fat and grease from the meat meets with heat inside the grill, the result is black crust. Usually, this is seen on the grates after you have prepared your barbecue. But, even before winding up your grilling, your barbecue might have mixed with this crust. The outcome is not welcoming. The odor is bad that the barbecue turns out to be something else.
Every time you invite your family and or friends to a barbecue zone, the aim is for them to enjoy a delicious grill meat. But it won’t be a happy moment if the barbecue has a bad odor. The delicious-intended meat may have a bad smell because of the mold, the rusting of the grates or smell from the decomposing remains. This is not what you want.
The last yet important reason why you should clean your grill touches on microorganisms and other bacteria. Remember that any dirty home use tool will always attract insects. Your grill is not exceptional. If your grill is dirty, it will harbor microorganisms, bacteria, fungi, mold, and even be home to insects and rodents. All these are harmful to human health.
How To Clean Grill Grates
Having best grill cleaning tools does not guarantee a cleaner grill. Your efforts will surely bear fruit if you use the best grill scraper as recommended by the manufacturer.
Nonetheless, you can have a cleaner grill both from the interior and fro the exterior. But the most important part of the grill to focus on is the grill grates, where your barbecue rests.
The Best Time To Clean Grill Grates
The best time to clean grill grates is when the grates are still hot. Ideally, your interest is to remove the grease, fats, and any other residue that rests on the grates.
Although you can clean your grill grates any other time, I’d advise you clean them when still hot. During this time, you won’t find a hard time to scrap off the dirt. Besides, you will use little, water and less time to clean the dirt because grease and fats get off fast when the metal bars are still hot.
In the event that you are on schedule, you can still clean the grates when they are hot. Turn on the burner when it is the right time for you to clean them. Leave the burner on for close to 20 minutes. This will ensure the metal bars are as hot as they would be when in use. You can now do the cleaning.
Techniques of Cleaning Grill Grates
Grates, the metal bars where the meat rests is the most important part of the grill. It is on the grates the grilling process takes place. With much work taking place on the grates, you can expect these metal bars to be overwhelmed by meat residue, fats, and grease.
To clean the grates, you need the following:
- Aluminum foil.
- Quality industrial detergent.
- Hot or warm water.
- Appropriate grill brush.
- Paper towel or piece of cloth.
There are three main techniques to clean grill grates. The first way involves the use of a few tools and cleaning materials from the above list. The techniques are not hard to follow and can be used to clean any type of grill grates.
The first technique is to clean the grill grate while it is still hot and intact. In this first technique, apply the following directions to achieve the right results:
Directions For Cleaning Grill Grates
- Wear protective gloves.
- Put off the burners of your grill.
- Using the best grill brush or scraper, scrap off the dirt from the grates.
- Apply force to get the best results for some dirt may be hard to remove.
- You can repeat the scraping process until you attain the desired results. For aluminum or stainless steel grates, the aim is they shine.
- Soak the grates if you see that it is hard to remove the stubborn dirt from the grates.
- Soaking should not last long. The aim is to ensure excessive dirt is off the grates.
- After soaking, you can now scrub loose dirt from the grates.
- Rinse the grates using clean warm or hot water.
- Wipe off excessive water from the grates.
- Let the grates to dry in the sun.
Technique No. 2
This second technique to clean your grill grates involves soaking. It also requires the use of other best grill cleaning tools and materials from the above list of thing you need.
Here is a step-by-step guide on cleaning the grill grate:
PS. In this technique, you MUST make sure the grate is cold. Otherwise, the tub will melt.
- Using a large plastic tub, hold your grill grates in place.
- Pour a little amount of industrial detergent into the tub that already has hot water. The grates need to completely soak inside the water.
- Mix the hot water, industrial detergent, and a little baking soda.
- Ensure the solution is foamy for best results.
- Put the grate inside this solution for some time. If you have time, you can soak the grate the whole night.
- Using a safe grill brush, scrub off the loose dirt.
- You will do better to avoid scrub pads made of steel because pieces of steel may break thus may remain in the grill then later may find their way into the food.
- Once you ascertain your grate is clean, rinse it with clean water and let it dry.
- You are ready to use your grill.
Technique No. 3
This third technique does not involve a lot. Essentially, you’ll need two ingredients namely baking soda and vinegar.
- Put your grill grate inside a plastic bag.
- Make a generous mix of baking soda and white vinegar.
- Once the two ingredients have evenly mixed, pour them directly over the grates.
- The mixture will create foam once it gets contact with the metal bars.
- Leave the foam to rest on the metal bars between an hour and 12 hours.
- Using the best grill scraper, exert pressure on the grate as you scrub through, removing the entire residue on the metal bars.
- Rinse the grate using clean water.
- You are free to make your barbecue after the grate has dried up.
Things To Avoid When Cleaning Grill Grates
While it is a good thing to maintain sanity and cleanliness of your grill, there are things to avoid. Unfortunately, many people fail to grasp the fact that some commercial grill cleaning tools are not good for your grates.
When cleaning your grill, avoid the use of bleach cleaners. You need to stop using them because of the negative effects bleach cleaners have on your grates.
Most industrial sprays in the market today have sodium hypochlorite. This is usually the main ingredient in many commercial sprays. Although the ingredient does better to remove stubborn stains, it is not friendly with stainless steel grates.
Besides, sodium hypochlorite does not effectively degrease grill grates. It is therefore prudent to avoid a spray that does not have absolute effect I removing grease from your grill grates.
Lye or sodium hydroxide, as many call it is another ingredient you should beware of. It is also an important component in many industrial grill cleaners. If you regularly use lye to clean your grates together with a brush or scraper, it will spoil your grill.
The most important reason to avoid sodium hydroxide is it is toxic. If the toxins from this industrial cleaner touch your food, it will be a healthy hazard. You will do better to avoid it if you put the health of your family first.
10 Best Grill Brushes To Look For This Year
A delicious barbecue with family and friends once a while is a good way to achieve happiness. Having a grill, is the first step towards your happy moments. But if you are really interested in making the happy moments memorable, you must ensure your grill is clean. To do this, you have to use the best grill brush.
Below is a review of 10 popular grill brushes you should consider. Each of the products below has exceptional features you need to look at. Compare each product with the other for you to arrive at the best choice.
1. LauKingdom 17” Grill Brush (Black)
Are you having trouble cleaning your hot grill right after use? The LauKingdom Brush is the top-rated grill brush to use due to its 17-inch reach. It ensures the user saves themselves from unnecessary burn injuries.
- Measures 17.3” by 4.9” by 2.8”.
- Weighs 13.6 ounces.
- Uses a high-quality metal.
- The manufacturer is LauKingdom.
- Comes with 3 in 1 in-built brushes.
- Cleans 5X faster than ordinary brushes.
- Built with the latest Germany stainless steel Technology.
- Made to be used for all types of grills.
2. GRILLART 18-Inch Grill Brush
What sets the GRILLART Brush from the rest is its extra feature; the scraper. This handy add-on ensures those gristly bits stay clear off your grill making it, perhaps, the best grill brush in the current market.
- Measures 17.3” by 4.9” by 2.8”.
- Weighs 13.6 ounces.
- Comes with an 18-inch durable hard plastic handle.
- Wider scrapper.
- Extra thicker triple helix (135%).
- Multipurpose cleaner for gas, charcoal, porcelain, or smoker grills.
3. Grillinator 18” Grill Brush
Are you forced to toss your brush after cleaning your grill? Worry no more. The Grillinator Grill Brush is a safe grill brush with replaceable brush heads that no doubt, make it a contender for best grill brush in the market. This one is a must have.
- A two-way brush head.
- Holds both long and short bristles.
- 14-inch stainless steel handle.
- Brush heads are replaceable.
- Brush end also acts as a bottle opener.
- Has a contoured rubber handgrip.
- Has fortified stainless-steel shaft.
- Measures 18.5” by 4” by 3”.
- Weighs 2.6 lbs.
4. GRILLART Grill Brush With Scraper And 3 in 1 18-Inch Stainless Steel Wire Bristles
The frustration of missing that little nook of filth in your grill is finally over with the best grill cleaning tools. The GRILLART Grill Brush possesses an ergonomic handle and an omnidirectional brush head that gives you full control over the pressure and direction of the brush. Your grill will gleam once you use it. With This brush, you will be assured your grill grates are safe.
- Has three brushes.
- It’s able to rotate 360 degrees.
- Has an 18 ” inch handle.
- Contains a non-slip handle.
- Stainless steel scraper attached.
- Brush bristles well secured to its frame.
- Has a stainless-steel hanging attachment.
- Measures 18” by 3” by 4”
- Weighs 12.6 ounces.
5. BBQ Bristle Free Grill Brush (18 inches)
You’ve tried just about everything to get rid of that horrid black lump sitting on the bars of your grill, right? The BBQ Bristle Free Grill Brush is the answer to your prayers. It comes with a sturdy steel scraper just right for the job.
- Has a flat rounded stainless steel scraper.
- Has a 10 ” inch handle.
- Bears a thick, high-grade plastic handle.
- Spots tightly wound spiral steel coils as part of the brush head.
- Has a stainless-steel storage hook.
- Measures 16.2” by 5.5” by 3”
- Weighs 14.4 ounces.
6. Kona Grill Brush
A good quality grill brush is a sure way to ensure your grill is as clean as new after the grill use. The better grill brush should be strong and safe to use. Bristle free brushes are good, because they do not leave bristles on the grill that can later contaminate your food. KONA grill brush is made of stainless steel, which is rust resistant. It is also bristle free.
- A barbecue brush that is bristle free.
- Made of stainless steel.
- It can be used to clean a range of grill types. The types include ceramic, iron, porcelain and steel.
- Comes in a black color.
- The handle is 18 inches long. It is tough and weather resistant.
- There are 3 brushes in one design.
- Lightweight yet rigid in construction.
7. Grill Grubber Barbecue Cleaning Brush
A barbecue brush that is safe for use is a great way to keep your grill well maintained. Grill grubber barbecue cleaning brush is among the best bristle free grill brush. No bristles that come off the brush and end up in your food. This great brush is a product of the USA.
- The amazing brush comes with two pads. The pads are replaceable
- A handle that is steady and durable.
- Metal parts are made of stainless steel.
- Perfect shape to fit and clean all the grill parts spotlessly.
- Bristle free.
8. A&D Barbecue Grill Brush
This brush comes with the best grill cleaning tools. The three brushes in one will clean your grill much faster than an ordinary brush. You do not need to think hard of how you can clean grime from your grill. This brush with a long steady handle is all you need after that wonderful family gathering. The brush is versatile enough.
- A 10” handle that makes cleaning the grill’s surface easy.
- Comes with 3 brushes in 1.
- The brush is angled to perfectly fit and clean all the grill corners.
- It is made of steel wire that has been woven.
- Bristles are made of stainless steel.
- Universal brush made for all types of grills. It can be used on ceramic, cast iron, porcelain; stainless steel and char- broil among others.
9. Weber 3-Sided 6494-Grill Brush
When looking for the best grill scraper, then Weber 3-sided 6494-grill brush should be your first choice. The brush is 12 inches long and it is three sided. It is suitable for use over a gas or charcoal grill. It will keep the grill free from all the food debris. It is a sure way to clean the hard to reach cooking grates as well as edges.
- A wide head of the brush that cleans all large surfaces efficiently.
- The brush shorter sides are suitable for removing debris and cleaning the edges of the grill grates.
- Made of thick steel bristles that are stainless.
10. Backyard Dudes Brass Brush
Backyard dudes brass brush is a barbecue grill cleaning brush. It is the good grill brush to use when cleaning all the porcelain enamel grill grates. The brush is made using American steel and brass materials. A clean grill assures you of great tasting food that is free of contaminants for every party.
- 12-inch barbecue grill brush.
- Manufactured in the USA.
- Suitable for use on gas, porcelain charcoal and infrared grills.
- This great brush is dishwasher safe.
- Made of lead-free brass.
- The brush has two levels of bristles.
Factors To Consider When Buying Grill Brush
Getting the proper grill brush is not an easy thing. Many people take it lightly when they choose a brush for their grill. One of the reasons why many people take it lightly is because it is costly to buy a few grill brushes.
Nonetheless, to avoid spending a lot of money buying a grill brush year after year, you need to go beyond your comfort zone. To do so, you need to look at the following three factors.
These three pointers will help you make a good choice of the best bristle free grill brush you need. Let us start with the most obvious factor anyone could think of.
The truth is this is a rather obvious factor. Yes, it should be in many people’s mind that to better clean the inner parts of the grill; you need a brush with a longer handle.
Surprisingly, many people ignore this simple fact. Many that I have talked to still purchase grill brushes with shorter handles.
Although grill brushes can clean grills, they will give you a hard time to reach all the parts of the grill. To avoid any skepticism, I’d rather you buy a brush with 10-inch to 17-inch handle.
PS. Best grill cleaning practice requires you to do so when the grates are hot. If you scrap a hot grate for a long time, the brush will be hot too. This explains why you need a barbecue brush with a longer handle, to keep your hands away from the heat.
Have you heard from the news recently that some people have been admitted in various hospitals because they ingested grill brush remains? In other words, there are reports that some brushes have feeble bristles that remain in the grill after scrubbing.
This should teach us a lesson: if you love your family and friends, buy a safe grill brush, one with sturdy bristles. Such kind of a brush is hard to leave its bristles in your grill no matter how hard you scrub.
Because of such sad news, some people have decided to buy brushes that do not have bristles. This is an ingenious course. Nonetheless, whether you are using the best bristle free grill brush or the best grill scraper, it is prudent to have a tendency of having a closer look at your grill grates before you decide to use the grill.
Still, if you prefer using a grill brush with bristles, ensure you inspect the bristles every time you are using it. This way, you will know if it is in a good condition to clean your grates or not.
What is a brush hook? How is it important? A brush hook is a hole, usually at the rear end of the brush handle. Some kitchen tools such as pans, serving spoons, and folks have hooks.
The purpose of the hooks or holes at the handle is to make storage of these kitchen tools easy.
A hook or some way to store your grill brush must be a factor. In fact, most modern grills are built with hooks whose work is to help store some of the grill accessories. Make good use of these hooks.
You should not worry if your brush has a metal loop or a sturdy leather strap. The important thing to you should be a way to store your grill brush when it is not in use.
You now have the full review of 10 best grill brushes in the market. May the write-up help you find the ideal brush you have been looking for. The most important thing to you should be to have fun and wholesome moments with the people you love, while enjoying a delicious barbecue.
Rita C. Donnell (Jennifer) has spent the last 26 years studying and practicing nutrition science. She has used a larger part of this time in improving people’s livelihoods. She has done so by coming up with unquestionable ideas on how to tackle food problems in her community. Readmore