As always, the kitchen is one of the important rooms in a house yet the most complex when it comes to ensuring it is clean. In order to successfully, remove smoke and other odors from the kitchen, you need the best island range hood. While other range hoods may help, an island range hood requires less effort and materials to install. Besides, you do not require much space or change anything in the kitchen in order to install it. On what perhaps seems to be the number one advantage of installing an island range hood over the other types of range hoods is that an island range hood tends to cover a large area over the cooktop, something that you probably want to achieve.
The first thing I’m going to talk about in this article is what an island range hood is. This will be followed by a deeper analysis of the 5 best island range hoods in the market. My hope is that after going through the list, you will finally find an island range hood that suits your budget. The difference between an island range hood and a wall mount will follow. Thereafter, I will also talk about range hood filter and how to clean it. Just before wrapping things up, I will also take you through a few frequently asked questions (FAQs), before I finish with how to identify the best island range hood. Without further ado, it is time to answer the first question.
- Best recirculating range hoods reviews and buying tips
- Best wall mount rage hood reviews and buying guide.
- Best range hood under cabinet reviews and buying guide.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Island Range Hoods At A Glance
- 2 What Is An Island Range Hood?
- 3 5 Best Island Range Hoods Review for This Year
- 4 Island Range Hood Vs Wall Mount, Which Should You Go For?
- 5 How to Clean Range Hood Filter(s)
- 6 How to Choose the Best Island Range Hood
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 8 Conclusion
Top 5 Island Range Hoods At A Glance
Here I have listed 5 excellent range hood for the KitchenFact lover. This is the list for at glance. I describe details in product reviews section.
- FIREBIRD Stainless Steel 36” Euro Style Island Mount Range Hood LED Screen
- Cosmo 668ICS900 36in Island Mount Range Hood
- FIREBIRD 30” Stainless Steel Island Mount Range Hood
- 4. Kitchen Bath Collection 36” SS Island Hood
- 5. Blue Ocean 36” RH6681 Island Mount Kitchen Range Hood
What Is An Island Range Hood?
As the name may suggest, an island is a range hood in the kitchen where there is no specific point at which the range hood is mounted. Compared to other kitchen range hoods, an island range hood tends to cover the entire kitchen rather than to be fixed in a specific place. To vent it out, you need to create a duct on your kitchen ceiling.
5 Best Island Range Hoods Review for This Year
Here I research 10 Island range hoods from different brand and then I select top 5 Island range hoods for my presentation.
1. FIREBIRD Stainless Steel 36” Euro Style Island Mount Range Hood LED Screen
If you are looking for a quiet and easy to operate island range hood then the FIREBIRD is the one for you. One of its advantages is that it is easily installed on the ceiling, and it comes with everything you need for the installation. The hood also comes with touch-friendly controls that make operating of the lights and fans easy.
One of the things that stand out the most with this product is the quiet operation. The range hood runs at less than 65dB at full speed making communication easier while cooking. If you want to avoid fumes and smoke then this hood has got you covered with its 343 CFM motor. The motor removes smoke, grease, and odors effectively.
You get 3 different speeds that let you control the power and noise production with ease. With two stainless steel baffle filters, the FIREBIRD removes all grease and oil from your kitchen top leaving it cleaner. The fact that they are machine washable makes maintenance a breeze.
- 3-speed motor.
- Quiet operation at 65dB.
- 4 LED lights to increase illumination.
- Advanced and touch-friendly controls for effortless operation.
- Doesn’t have a wall mount.
- Fairly weak motor.
Though not without its faults, the FIREBIRD comes with an impressive 343 CFM motor with a noise level of 65dB at full speed. These, together with the 3-year warranty makes this product worth the buy
2. Cosmo 668ICS900 36in Island Mount Range Hood
This island range hood does more than just clean and ventilate. It has a sleek and eye-catching design that makes it fit in seamlessly with other stainless steel appliances in the kitchen. It has a carbon filter kit, sold separately if you want a vent-less operation.
The hood comes with a robust 380 CFM motor with a 3-speed fan that gets rid of kitchen odors and grease easily. That is made possible by the Cosmo ARC-FLOW permanent filters that help in keeping the air clean.
For energy saving, the hood uses 2W LED lighting that allows you to see even in the dark. With soft-touch controls that show on an LCD screen, you can easily control your settings to your taste. It also has 3 fan speeds that let you choose between low, medium, and high to suit your cooking needs.
- Three fan speeds.
- The filters are dishwasher safe.
- Robust 380 CFM motor.
- Long-lasting stainless steel hood.
- Loud sound at higher speeds.
- Hard to install.
This island range hood has a unique and stylish design that coupled with its features makes it one of the best in the market. You might need help when installing due to its size but it will serve you well.
3. FIREBIRD 30” Stainless Steel Island Mount Range Hood
Cooking has been made easier with the FIREBIRD 30” range hood. It has a 60-minute timer that helps you keep track of time while cooking. The convertible island range hood also has a 3-year warranty for limited parts that might defect to make sure you don’t get defective parts.
The island mount range hood includes 4 inbuilt 1.5W LED lights that illuminate your worktop for visibility. You can even use the lights to create a quaint atmosphere for dinners. It also includes 3 fan speeds that ensure you always get the desired amount of suction.
343 CFM motor that helps keep your kitchen clean by removing smoke and odors. 2 machine washable stainless-steel baffle filters collect grease and oils while cooking for a cleaner environment. It also operates quietly at 65dB.
- Advanced controls for easy operation of fans and lights.
- Quiet operation, 65dB at full speed.
- 343 CFM motor.
- Made from durable, easy to clean stainless steel.
- Difficult to install.
- The vent is noisy during operation.
Barring the fact that the island mount range hood is difficult to install, you will get an effortless operation. It’s a powerful motor and the 3-speed fan makes cooking an easy and fun task.
4. Kitchen Bath Collection 36” SS Island Hood
When it comes to island hoods, the brighter the better, and the Kitchen Bath hood delivers just that. Unlike its competitors, its lights have 49 bulbs each, making it three times brighter than other models. You can now cook at ease with adequate lighting no matter the time of day.
The hood features a touch screen control panel. This type of control is simpler to operate since you won’t have to deal with stuck buttons. It also has a sleek design that adds class to your kitchen. The control panel is easy to clean without having dust and debris sticking to the corners.
It has three adjustable speed settings that can be changed according to the needs. Use the touch screen panel to increase or reduce the flow of air whenever you want. The hood also has an adjustable chimney with no visible welded seams on any of its three sides.
- Touch screen control panel.
- Charcoal filters for trapping more smoke.
- Lights are three times brighter than others.
- Dishwasher safe filter.
- Needs professional installation.
- The unit is noisy when operating.
Having an island mount hood that is bright is no joke. You won’t have to deal with dark light anymore while cooking. Add to that the digital control panel and you have a priceless item that is also easy on the eyes.
5. Blue Ocean 36” RH6681 Island Mount Kitchen Range Hood
Customer satisfaction is taken to the next level with this hood. When you buy it, you get two free brand new charcoal filters, which you would otherwise have to buy separately. You also get more than just free products.
This range hood’s body is made of stainless steel. The material ensures that it is durable and will last for a long time. It also has four LED lights that illuminate the work area. You can also use them for lighting on evening dinners.
Another impressive feature is the powerful 900 CFM motor than ensures your kitchen is always clean from smoke and grease. The unit is also quiet at 65dB.
- Powerful 900 CFM motor.
- Noiseless operation.
- Easy to install with standard installation accessories.
- Two free charcoal filters are included.
- Poor installation instructions.
- It is heavy.
This island mount range hood comes with all the features you could desire. Add to that the free filters and you’ve got quite a steal. Definitely worth it.
Island Range Hood Vs Wall Mount, Which Should You Go For?
Whether you should go for an island range hood or a wall mount range hood is your choice. the only thing you need to know is that while these two take different positions, they both serve the same purpose – remove smoke and odor from the kitchen.
Wall mount range hoods tend to be location specific. Island range hoods on the other hand, can be placed anywhere in the kitchen as long as they remove smoke and unwanted odor from the kitchen.
Overall, an island range hood is versatile compared to any other range hoods for the kitchen. You should however, beware of the different types and brands of the island range hoods in the markets.
How to Clean Range Hood Filter(s)
An island range hood is not anything without a clean and functional filter. Because of that, you need to ensure your range hood has a clean filter throughout the time for you to be sure it will do its work perfectly.
When cleaning a greasy range hood filter, you need to follow eight simple steps. But before we delve into the steps, here is what you need for the exercise:
- Hot water;
- Baking soda;
- Scrub brushes (non-abrasive);
- Dish soap (degreasing);
- Dish cloth or paper towels.
Cleaning a greasy range filter is a process rather than a simple exercise. Follow these simple instructions if you want to have a clean filter:
- 1) Remove the filter(s) – While most range hood filters are designed in a way that enable them to easily slide, you need to know how to remove them without damaging them. If they are the types that pop or slide, simply follow the patterns that will enable you remove them. If they have a metal loop, make sure you press the loop, push the filter up, and successfully remove the filter.
- 2) Fill your basin or sink with hot water – there is no doubt that hot water is ideal for removing stubborn and sticky grease. If you are able to keep the water, hot throughout your cleaning time, the better. If you have hot water running out of your kitchen tap, that would be better. Whatever the source of your water, make sure it is hot.
- 3) Mix dish soap and baking soda with the water – while maintaining liberal measurements, pour in the hot water enough baking soda and the degreasing dish soap of your choice. To make sure the mixture is done well, use a brush because as you know, you cannot use your bare hands – water is still hot.
- 4) Immerse the greasy filter in the water – it is important to know that if you want to get rid of the grease in the filter completely, you need to submerge the filter(s) inside the water.
- 5) Let the filters soak a while longer – for a good experience, let the filters soak in the water for about 10 minutes.
- 6) Scrub the filters – using the non-abrasive brush, scrub the filters off whatever dirty that might have accumulated. If required, you can add more baking soda and dish soap to the mixture.
- 7) Rinse and dry the filters – after ensuring that the filters are clean, you need to rinse them using clean hot water. Thereafter, you dry the filters using a paper towel that you set aside or any other dry piece of cloth. Let the filters dry in the sun or anywhere in the open.
- 8) Replace the range hood filters – upon ensuring that the filters are dry, it is time to replace them back to the range hood. The best practice is to repeat the range hood filter cleaning process at least once in 30 days. This helps your range hood to give you the best service for longer.
You May like this Topic:
How to Choose the Best Island Range Hood
There is no doubt that after looking at the various island range hoods; you’d like to purchase one for your family. While that is a good step, the process of identifying the right range hood that can help you achieve your purpose is always a daunting one.
This section delves into the various things that can help you identify the best island range hood
There is no specific cubic feet per minute (CFM) for an island range hood. The projection is that a proper and functional island range hood should move at least 100 CFM of air in every 12 inches of the stove width.
With that in mind, it means an island range hood that is roughly 30 inches should be able to at least move some 250 or thereabout of air within every 12 inches or so.
While some old island range hood models have a CFM that ranges from 100 to 250, modern island range hoods can go up to 500 or even more.
Never in history, have people minded about island range hood vents as they have this time. Hitherto, there are different vent variations that make the installment and the exhaustion of smoke from the kitchen sleeker than before.
Certain contemporary designs for removing smoke and other odors from the kitchen blend nicely with woodwork. Besides, other designs are complicated yet do better to become the real masterpieces to be desired by the coming generations.
Apart from removing smoke and any other odors from the kitchen, an island range hood exhaust style needs to look good, the kind of which conforms to modern standards.
Besides, the exhaustion style must blend with interior cabinetry, the type and make of range itself, and other appliances in the kitchen.
Copper exhaust style is one of the amazing styles many modern homes employ. When installing this exhaust style, do not limit yourself. You are free to explore all your abilities. The most important thing with this and most exhaust styles is; the exhaust vent should be at least 6 inches more that the stove.
When it comes to lighting of kitchen range hoods, an island range hood is perhaps the most versatile. Because of its ‘free-standing’ nature, an island range hood gives you the liberty to light it as you want.
Nonetheless, if you want to decorate your kitchen, the best advice would be to go for island range hoods with LED lighting. These island range hoods tend to illuminate the kitchen thus making it lively.
As opposed to the dining, that might require bright bulbs, the kitchen needs some sort of ambient light that makes those in the kitchen feel a part of the ‘game’. You can also consider going for an island range hood that has an addition bright light that will help you monitor your cooking because the range hood is directly proportional to the cooktop.
This should have been the foremost thing when you want any type of range hood for your kitchen.
Speaking of the material, metal is durable compared to a wooden bodywork. However, wooden island range hoods tend to look appealing in most modern kitchens. Kitchen range hoods with formica finishing are excellently good-looking.
As you continue to think about the material, these two things should guide you: durability and appeal. The two are antagonistic but at the same time go hand in hand.
My view would be, look for a material, which lasts but also appeals and blends to the other parts of your kitchen.
I must admit that this is a very complicated yet sensitive part. However, oblivious of what may be contained in a range hood, the best island range hood should have among other things, components that make it a viable kitchen appliance.
Without going to the extreme, the best island range hood should not miss the main components that make the range hood functional. Some of the components you must be in the lookout for, include switches, common filters (for exhaust), filter clips, fuses, aluminum grease, transistors and duct adapters, dampers, controls, transformers, and others.
Everywhere in the world, brand matters. For a long time, homeowners have associated themselves with brands that give them the quality of their money. Nothing has changed! When shopping for the right island range hood, you need to go for the brand you trust.
While most brands promise to give you the best merchandise, some brands go far much beyond. In fact, some even go as far as giving you extra service that woe clients. Customer care program for instance is one of the fundamental things you need to look for in a brand.
In addition, some brands tend to come with additional features that are exceptionally unquestionable. For instance, having a classy style, decent design, intricate looks and additional components, durability, among others, are some of the things that differentiate manufacturers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: What is the best height for an induction range hood?
Answer: A good height for an induction range hood is between 32” to 36”.
Question: What is the best height for a range hood?
Answer: The ideal height for a normal range hood lies between 20” to somewhere 24”.
Question: Which range hood is the quietest?
Answer: Although not in our list, FOTILE JQG7501 is one of the quietest range hoods but with a powerful motor in the market.
I have talked a lot about the best island range hood and perhaps you’ve seen that in this list, I’ve tried to give you as much information as I could with the aim of helping you find the right island range hood. Is that all? Never will it be. As a reminder, I have talked about what an island range hood is and now you are in a better place to differentiate it with other range hoods. What you need and the procedure of cleaning greasy island range hood filters was particularly phenomenal, and I’m happy you benefited. Finally, it was a good thing to talk about how you can identify the best island range hood from a majority of brands in the market today.
To that end, all I wish is may you grab a quality island range hood that can fix smoke and odor issues from your kitchen.
Rita C. Donnell (Jennifer) has spent the last 26 years studying and practicing nutrition science. She has used a larger part of this time in improving people’s livelihoods. She has done so by coming up with unquestionable ideas on how to tackle food problems in her community. Readmore