As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Flatbread recipe with yeast now in your hand. Flatbread is easy to make and very versatile. Use as an accompaniment to Indian or Middle Eastern dishes and also as a delicious pizza crust. The directions for this recipe use a stand mixer but if you don’t have one you can mix the dough by hand and then knead for 5-10 minutes until a soft dough forms.
Flatbread Recipe with Yeast: Ingredients
- 1 envelope of active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 ½ cups flour (more if needed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp of sour cream or plain yogurt
- olive oil and garlic for topping (optional)
- Combine the warm water, yeast and sugar in a measuring cup and let stand for 10 minutes until foamy.
- In the mixer bowl combine the flour, salt and cumin and stir well.
- Stir in the yeast mixture, oil and yogurt.
- Using the dough hook, knead for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and continue to knead for 2 more minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be soft.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm draught free place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough and divide into as many pieces as desired. If you are making individual flatbreads divide into about 10 pieces. Or make 2 pizza crusts (approx. 10″).
- Roll out the dough and brush with garlic flavored olive oil.
- Bake on greased or parchment lined baking sheets at 400F for approximately 10 minutes or until brown and puffed up.
- Serve warm or if making pizza, top the baked shell with cheese and your favorite toppings and return to the oven for about 15 more minutes.
Rita C. Donnell (Jennifer) has spent the last 26 years studying and practicing nutrition science. She has used a larger part of this time in improving people’s livelihoods. She has done so by coming up with unquestionable ideas on how to tackle food problems in her community. Readmore