Hello Kitchen Fact Lover. My toddy's issue is bagel dog recipe. Are you craving some delicious and easy-to-make appetizer? Then bagel dogs got you covered. In just an hour, you can enjoy fresh and tasty bagel dogs at the comfort of your home, without necessarily running to the store to get frozen ones.
These bagel dogs bring out the summer feeling in your house in a whole new way. They are kid-friendly, and you can add your favorite flavors to them. Without wasting more time, let us look at the recipe for making bagel dogs.
Table Of Contents
How to Make Bagel Dogs
Making bagels is actually very easy. It is all about wrapping dough around hot dogs, then dipping them in boiling water, and lastly, baking in the oven. Check out the process of doing it.
- 5 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons table salt
- 2 cups warm water-1100 F
- 12 hot dogs
- 2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- Cooking grease
- Baking sheet
- sharp knife
- Parchment paper
- Heavy pot
- Electric stand mixer
- Slotted spatula
- Rolling pin
Step-1: Preparing dough
- Pour the water into the bowl of your electric stand mixer and add yeast into the water. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Add sugar and salt into the water and stir well.
- Set the mixer speed to medium and pour in your flour, beating it well it blends well to form a stiff dough.
- Once the dough stiffens, replace your mixer's paddle attachment with a dough hook and knead until the mixture gets elastic and smooth.
- Knead your dough together to form a lump-like shape. Next, take a bowl and grease its insides.
- Place your dough into the greased bowl.
- Turn over the dough so that the grease covers even the top side of the dough.
- You can then cover your dough with a kitchen towel and let the dough sit until it rises. Preferably for 1 hour.
Step-2: Rolling the dough
- After the dough has risen properly, do some brief kneading on it to eliminate any air bubbles remaining.
- Lightly flour your board place the dough on it.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough until it gets at least 1/4 inches thick.
- With the help of a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut 1-inch pieces of dough, enough for the hot dogs.
Step-3: Drying and wrapping the hot dogs
- Dry any moisture in your hot dogs and then hold one of its ends.
- Begin overlapping dough around the hot dog from the end side where you are holding it.
- After overlapping, place a parchment paper on a baking sheet and put the bagel dog on it with the seamed side down.
- Once you have overlapped all your bagel dogs and placed them on a baking sheet, cover them loosely with a kitchen towel and leave them for about 40 minutes.
Step-4: Preheating oven and boiling the bagel dog
- Preheat your oven to 4000 F.
- On a heavy pot, add water and pour baking soda into it and place over your stove to boil.
- After the water has boiled, carefully put 2 to 3 bagel dogs at a time into it and keep turning with a slotted spatula frequently for a minute or so.
- Next, you should lift the bagels out of the water and dry them with a kitchen towel/paper towel.
- Arrange your bagel dogs on your baking sheet with the seamed side down.
- Brush the bagel dogs with the beaten egg and sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
- Place the bagel dogs in the preheated oven and bake until they turn brownish and keep turning the pan halfway through cooking.
- Serve and enjoy while still warm.
Tips When Making Bagel Dogs
- When preparing bagel dogs, here are some tips that you should be familiar with.
- Any brand of hot dogs or pre-cooked sausages can be used.
- For yeast to be activated, the water should be very warm or slightly hot. Boiled water kills yeast.
- The dough's rising time can vary depending on the climate, the flour used. For instance, rising may take longer during the winter season.
- You can store your bagel dogs in the fridge for 2-3 days and 2 months in the freezer.
- Use a deep pot to boil the dogs, so it doesn’t stick at the bottom.
- You can add honey in place of sugar.
Easy Bagel Dog Recipe Pillsbury in Video
That’s the bagel dog recipe, so simple and direct. To bring out the best of it, serve the bagel dogs with Heinz yellow mustard or some ketchup.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rita C. Donnell (Jennifer) has spent the last 26 years studying and practicing nutrition science. She has used a larger part of this time in improving people’s livelihoods. She has done so by coming up with unquestionable ideas on how to tackle food problems in her community. Readmore